COMMUNITY-LED FLOOD & DROUGHT MITIGATION PROJECT
estudioOCA worked in partnership with international institutions and organizations, as well as the Municipality of Janiuay on a project that promotes community-led resilience planning and makes funding available for implementing small-scale initiatives within selected urban and urbanizing areas.
Barangay San Julian, located within the municipality of Janiuay, in the Philippines was selected as a site for one such project. The barangay is at the heart of the poblacion, near the Municipal Hall. The resilience issues prioritized by the community were flood during the rainy season and severe water shortage during the dry months.
Local team partners guided the community through a process to recognize their vulnerabilities and then implement on-site resilience projects.
estudioOCA hosted workshops that provided learning opportunities to local stakeholders, including the local municipal engineering team, on sustainable water management strategies; in particular the focus was on the use of nature-based solutions such as green infrastructure, as drought and flood mitigation strategies.
FLOOD & DROUGHT MITIGATION STRATEGIES ACROSS JANIUAY CITY AND SAN JULIAN SUB BASIN
LOCATING SAN JULIAN SUB BASIN WITHIN GREATER WATERSHED
IN FIELD WORKSHOP
LAND COVER SAN JULIAN SUB BASIN
SUB BASIN DELINEATION AND MODEL SET UP
· estudioOCA proposals were focused on developing an inclusive interdisciplinary approach that incorporates social, economic, ecological, and engineering, working together with sustainable design and planning.
· As a strategy for sustainability, estudioOCA studied the San Julian watershed, and performed research through hydrological modeling analysis and reforestation scenarios to investigate the basin’s characteristics and whether different types of vegetative reforestation could increase the infiltration of rainfall to help mitigate drought by increasing water table levels as a sustainable mitigation strategy during times of drought.
· The hydrological model integrated elevation, land cover and rainfall datasets.
· Beyond the community led projects, estudioOCA developed workshops, increasing capacity building for the community and local municipal engineering team. In particular the focus has been on the use of nature based solutions such as green infrastructure, as drought and flood mitigation strategy.
· Besides identifying with community and local stakeholders, the main issues concerning flood and drought in Janiuay, estudioOCA developed several designs of nature based solutions in both urban and rural areas for the community and municipality of Janiuay.